Are you suffering from constant neck pain? Is it uncomfortable to sit in front of the computer all day at work because of the stiffness? Is it difficult to move your neck?
Neck pain is a common phenomenon nowadays with the time spent in front of the computer. What are some of the signs and symptoms of neck pain? What are the causes and solutions?
What are the symptoms of related to a dysfunction in the neck?
There are numerous symptoms related to the Neck Pain. You may experience one or more of the following:
• Sharp pain
• Shooting pain down the shoulder or arm
• Tingling or numbness in the arm
• Difficulty moving neck
What are the Causes of Neck Pain?
Just like its symptoms, there are a wide variety of causes contributing to neck pain:
• Poor posture – With poor posture the shoulders are slouched forward which in turn causes our head and neck to lean forward, which creates extra tension on the neck.
• Injuries – Car accidents, motorbike accidents, and falls are some common accidents where sudden, forced movement of the head occurs causing injury to the neck.
• Arthritis – Degenerative changes of the spine from constant wear and tear can irritate the nerves in the neck which can result in any of the above symptoms.
Is pain medication helpful?
Although over the counter pain medications may help with the symptoms, they will not treat the cause of the problem. They will only cover up the problem, so if you don’t have to don’t take them. There are risk factors associated with long term use of any medications. Many of them have harmful side effects associated with usage.
Should I use heat or ice?
The first 2-3 days after an injury, you should apply an ice pack wrapped in a towel for up to 20 minutes at time. If the problem has been there for a long time, then a heat pack or hot shower may temporarily help relieve some of the muscle soreness.
Is stretching helpful?
Gentle stretching is beneficial for easing the muscle tightness which may help relieve some of the pain. Gently hold neck to one side until you feel a stretch and hold for 30 seconds. Stretch both sides of the neck.
How can Chiropractic help with Neck Pain?
Chiropractic care addresses the cause of the problem, which is most often the spine not moving well and giving people neck pain. Our treatments may include adjusting the problem area, stretching & strengthening exercises as well as proper posture and work station set-up advice. If you would like to schedule an appointment please let us know and we will be happy to help you with your problem.