Sciatica is irritation or damage to the sciatic nerve, which is a nerve that starts in the low back and runs down the buttock and back of each leg. The sciatic nerve is formed from five nerve roots in the low back that come together to form the largest nerve in the human body. This nerve controls the muscles and sensation in the back of the thigh, the leg and the foot.
What are some of the common symptoms?
The symptoms are typically felt on one side of the body:
Tingling, burning, or shooting pain on one side of the body that starts in the low back that goes down the buttock and leg
- Pain is worse after sitting or standing for a long time
- Pain is worse when coughing, sneezing, laughing, or a bowel movement
- Weakness or numbness in the leg or foot
- Walking is painful or difficult
Not everyone will have all of the above symptoms.
What causes Sciatica?
One of the causes of Sciatica is when the bones of the spine are not moving properly. When the bones of the spine are not moving well, then this irritates or compresses the sciatic nerve. When the nerve is irritated, this causes pain and symptoms.
There are some additional problems that can the symptoms:
- One cause may be a Slipped Disc. Sometimes there is wear and tear on the discs between the bones which causes the material inside the disc to bulge and irritate the sciatic nerve.
- Another cause may be muscle spasms of surrounding muscles. If one of the muscles is tight or inflamed, then this can irritate the sciatic nerve and cause pain.
- The extra weight and pressure on the spine during pregnancy can also cause irritation to the nerve.
- Bone fractures, tumors, and infections surrounding the sciatic nerve can also cause irritation.
Natural Treatments for Sciatica
Many patients suffering Sciatica will find immediate relief under our care. It will take a couple of weeks of treatment, but most people will recover from Sciatica without the need of drugs or surgery.
If you would like to schedule an appointment to improve your overall health and well being, please let us know what day and time would work well for you and we will be happy to help you with it.